Medical Lake Middle School - Reading Expansion - Ms. Baughman
Welcome to My Classroom!! I am excited for 2019-2020 school year.
My name is Brenda Baughman and I will be your child's 7th or 8th grade reading teacher. I grew up in Auburn, Washington and graduated from Cheney High School. I received my Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree at Eastern Washington University. I taught at Glencoe High School in Oregon for three years before moving back to Washington. I have been teaching in Medical Lake School District for 18 years. I am blessed to be teaching my favorite subject, reading! I look forward to igniting your child's love of reading and helping your student understand reading strategies to help them become life-long readers.
I have two amazing boys, one is almost 5 and the other is 2. I love reading with them every night and watching them become little readers.
Students in Reading Expansion will be asked to read stories and literature, as well as more complex texts that provide facts and background knowledge in areas such as science and social studies. Students will be challenged and asked questions that push them to refer back to what they've read. This stresses critical-thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills that are required for success in college, career, and life.
Area's that will be covered in Informational Text and Literature:
Key Ideas and Details
1. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
2. Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
3. Analyze how and why individuals, events, and ideas develop and interact over the course of a text.
Craft and Structure
4. Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
5. Analyze the structure of texts, including how specific sentences, paragraphs, and larger portions of the text (e.g., a section, chapter, scene, or stanza) relate to each other and the whole.
6. Assess how point of view or purpose shapes the content and style of a text.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
7. Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse formats and media, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.*
8. Delineate and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, including the validity of the reasoning as well as the relevance and sufficiency of the evidence.
9. Analyze how two or more texts address similar themes or topics in order to build knowledge or to compare the approaches the authors take.
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
10. Read and comprehend complex literary and informational texts independently and proficiently
Brenda Baughman, M. Ed
Medical Lake Middle School
7th and 8th Grade Reading Expansion